At Home Teeth Whitening: 5 steps to filter-free teeth!
Not all whitening treatments are the same - and they have come a looooooong way from the popular otc kits we all used 10 -15 years ago! I remember my hygienist pointing out that some people were losing their enamel from using strips too frequently and after that I swore those off! I had done treatments at my dentists' offices but found them to be very expensive and fairly painful on my sensitive teeth as well!
I was preparing to do an in-office treatment again this year - the last time I did it was before our wedding in 2015, and with all the coffee I drink these days to keep up with my kids, my teeth desperately needed to be brightened up! When I saw that the price had gone up to $500, I realized I needed to check out my other options, and I am so glad I did!
I have been using the Smile Brilliant system for about a month now and am absolutely loving the results! They use a tray system so that it is personalized to YOUR teeth! You simply take a mold of your teeth, send it in, and they send you the trays about a week or so later!
They fit your teeth, and can get the whitening gel in all the places where the strips may not. The trays are worn for about an hour so that they can open those pores up and remove those deep, set-in stains. The trays also make the whitening permanent - those old stains are GONE. Any new stains are brought on by what you do going forward, but I have some tips below to help with that!
Doesn't it hurt?
Not at all! The trays are extremely comfortable since they are molded to your mouth, and the gel didn't bother me much. Bonus though - the Smile Brilliant system includes a desensitizing gel that you wear in your trays for about 15 minutes afterwards! This will help with any pain the next day.
How fast could you see results?
I noticed they were looking whiter after the second use! I was blown away and was so happy to not feel embarrassed about my tea and coffee-stained teeth! Results will vary though - think about all the coffee and tea and other things you have been eating or drinking that have led to the current shade. Be patient and follow the system and you will see results! See below for my before shots:
Here are my 5 steps for filter-free white teeth:
1. Use a whitening system! This is key and the only way to get those deep stains out. Whitening toothpaste can only do so much, and you will need a deeper treatment for the deeper stains.
2. Brush AND FLOSS regularly! One more time for the people in the back - brush AND FLOSS regularly! I know we are all at our bandwidth, but you have GOT to brush at least twice a day, and floss at least once a day. Its just good dental hygiene and will help you maintain the whiteness longer.
3. Avoid things that will stain your teeth like coffee, sodas, and tea. I know, I know - we all need that caffeine! If you are like me and need it, then try to switch to drinking with a straw. Keep the straw behind your teeth as you drink and avoid letting the drink get on your social six - the top 6 front teeth that people see first and foremost when you talk and smile.
4. Avoid brushing for 20 minutes after drinking alcohol or acidic drinks. Your teeth's pores are open and you don't want to be brushing and damaging your enamel - enamel can never be replaced!
5. Use cosmetics! Think how much whiter your teeth look with a fun bright lipstick or a nice (spray) tan! I recommend using either or both for when you want to look your best! Your teeth will look instantly brighter up against a contrasting color!
See below for my after shots:
I hope my tips have helped! Now for some great news for you: I can help you with tip #1! I have partnered up with Smile Brilliant to gift one of my followers one of their unique at-home whitening systems!
Giveaway link: www.smilebrilliant.com/g/strollersandstilettos
Or if you can't wait and want to get your system ASAP, I have a 15% off store wide code: strollersandstilettos15
I hope you like my tips - let me know if any of them work for you in the comments below or on my Instagram: @kristintiffiny!